2011 Talk Back Series
- Karen Dennis on The Quest for General Operating Support: How Much Progress Have We Made?
- Alexis on This is Your Brain on Race: Culture, Bias, and Anxiety
- Cheryl Gentry on When Art Comes to Life
- Justin on This is Your Brain on Race: Culture, Bias, and Anxiety
- Abigail on This is Your Brain on Race: Culture, Bias, and Anxiety
Alexis McGill Johnson
Alexis McGill Johnson is the executive director of the American Values Institute, a consortium of researchers, educators, and social justice advocates focused on understanding the role of bias in our society. Previously she served as executive director of Citizen Change, a national nonprofit organization founded by Sean “P. Diddy” Combs to educate, motivate, and empower young eligible voters. Under Combs, she launched the Vote or Die! campaign, creating a new political model for reaching young people and people of color by mixing traditional grassroots mobilization with nontraditional consumer-based marketing methods. As a writer, political strategist, and organizer, she has explored shifting paradigms of identity politics in the post-civil rights era, worked to increase civic engagement among young African Americans, and investigated the implications for demographic and ideological changes of this constituency on national politics. She serves as a private consultant to a variety of organizations, donors, and artists.